Saturday, April 2, 2011

i can't believe it's nut tuna!

this brilliant mock tuna salad recipe is so darn tasty, you won't believe it's nut tuna!=)


Oh My this is a Tuna!
posted by Ocean on the Raw Freedom Community Forum

1 Cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked)
1 Cup raw walnuts (soaked)
1/8 Cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp garlic (minced)
1/2 tsp kelp flakes
2 T nama shoyu

In food processor blend seeds, nuts, lemon juice, garlic, kelp, and nama shoyu.

Transfer to bowl and add:

1 pickle chopped (Bubbies pickle)
1 tsp Ume Plum vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1 tsp Herbamare seasoning
3 T Bubbies pickle juice
1 T fresh dill weed (chopped)
1/4 Cup onion (chopped)
1/4 Cup chopped celery
1/8 Cup parsley (chopped)

Stir by hand until mixed. 

kelli's notes: 

serve on raw bread, collard/chard/romaine wraps, or a bed of mixed greens. (pictured above on lisa's onion bread with alfalfa sprouts.)

for soaking, leave the walnuts and sunflower seeds in a bowl of water anywhere from 4 to 12 hours (usually i soak mine before bed, drain them in the morning, then place them in the fridge until i'm ready.) 

nama shoyu is raw, unpasteurized soy sauce. i've been using bragg's liquid aminos instead as the two are similar. you could also use soy sauce or just salt, to taste. any vinegar or pickle of choice would do, but to keep it raw and most nutritious i use bubbies' delicious pickles and raw apple cider vinegar. omitted were ingredients i didn't have: herbamare seasoning, dill and parsley.

kelp flakes/granules can be found in most health food stores or asian markets. kelp and other sea vegetables are naturally high in potassium iodide, which i mentioned previously, benefit thyroid health. daniel vitalis has made an excellent video on how to make kelp pills to help protect the thyroid gland against potential radiation exposure: A Simple, Inexpensive At-Home Radiation Remedy.


so, some of you may be thinking, 'why go through all the trouble; why not just eat canned tuna'?

first, studies have shown that canned/packaged tuna contains high amounts of mercury that exceed the levels deemed to be safe for human consumption. mercury is harmful to the nervous system, especially in babies and children. (according to wikipedia, "In March 2004 the United States FDA issued guidelines recommending that pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children limit their intake of tuna and other predatory fish.")

fish is recommended in the human diet for it's high amount of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. one cup of walnuts contains a whopping 18 grams of protein and is a very rich source of omega-3's. in the above nut tuna recipe, no mayonnaise is needed, which makes it much lower in saturated fats and free of empty calories.


in my opinion walnuts are a healthier, more compassionate choice for tuna salad. commercial tuna netting is reeking havoc on marine life. fishing for food with a pole and line to feed your family is one thing - huge ships capturing and killing all kinds of marine life in nets the size of small cities is another.

as my brother says about nut tuna, "it tastes just like tuna, without the fishiness!" my mother is in love with it and can't stop raving; the kids i sit thought it was real tuna, but anti-all-tuna john still refuses to try it. he has no idea what he's missing... oh well, more for me!=)

21 comments:

  1. Yum yum! Love all the ingredients listed - and this is made like the real thing. Good call. :) Great pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see this being made for lunch today. It has been a while since I made something like this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh cant wait to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And of course it is just so darn rewarding to create your own meals from scratch..nothing as delightfully delicious looking as what you have made could have possibly come out of a can of old fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound's delightful Kelli(adore anything made with germinated sunflower seeds:)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. heidi, thanks! it's one of my favorite things to make, especially since my family loves it.=)

    jane, enjoy!

    mel, let me know how you like it!

    mr h., yes, creating something fresh from scratch is most rewarding, and most nutritious!

    cosmic, me too! any germinated nut/seed, really.=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that looks/sounds so delicious! my favorite dish at my favorite restaurant is "mock tuna sandwich"--i've been trying to replicate the recipe for ages but can't get it right. i'll try this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative,Kelli---and looks absolutely scrumptious. Of course, I will need to eat about three times the amount shown. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delish. I have made mock tuna before but this recipe looks so much better. I love that they add in the bubbies and all the other fun toppings. I know my version did not have walnuts. So cool. Thanks for sharing. I just happen to be soaking sunflower seeds now. Perfect timing.
    Lovely photo's and break down of all ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe! I accidentally find some of my raw fixing's looking/tasting so close to mock tuna, that it makes me crave it every time. YOURS is BEaUtiful! Well done! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your top photo is so light and gorgeous. That mock tuna recipe is one of my faves- the first time I made it my husband ate it compulsively.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MMMM, this looks so good. I really want to get back into eating raw again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to make this! I used to love tuna sandwiches before going vegan. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Also, thanks for the little tid-bit on why not to eat tuna. Aside from not wanting to hurt the fishies :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi emily! this recipe is one of my favorites!

    thanks clint! it makes a nice big batch for the hungry men!=)

    sasha, walnuts make a GREAT mock meat. and i love bubbies. i could drink the juice!=) thank you for your kind words. xo

    thanks, ms. a. i owe it all to ms. ocean for creating the recipe and carmella for introducing me to it.=)

    kt, why thank you.=) i'd like to get john to eat it. he's against it even more bc of the raw onions, that wuss.=)

    brooke, i didn't know you ate raw! would love to know some of your favorite recipes!

    nikki, me too, but i thought it was so gross to prepare. not wanting to hurt the fishies is a given.=)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK!! I'm making this TODAY!!!! Yum!!!!
    Thank you SO much for sharing the recipe!!
    (I take back all the rotten things I ever said about you.:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great! Love adding Bubbies! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. gabriele, enjoy!=)

    lauren, we love our bubbies! i'm determined to make my own version this summer. i'm planting boston pickling cucumbers.=)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just discovered your blog through HiHoRosie! Can't wait to try the mock tuna. All the mix-ins look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Guess what we had for dinner last night? Yumm-eeee! I'm always a bit hesitant to try "tuna" recipes because most turn out not that great IMO. But this one? So good! It's two things for me: the nut combo (I don't like all sunflowers seeds as the base) and the pickles w/juice. Bubbies are the best! It goes perfect w/the onion bread. Thanks again for sharing this and inspiring me to make it. A definite keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I copied that recipe some time ago and have yet to make it. It looks soooo good. I only have Bubbies sweet pickles in the house for my oldest son, I'll have to wait till I get a jar of the dill pickles.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  21. Elizabeth, I only had the "bread and butter" pickle slices (Bubbies) and chopped those up. Growing up, we used pickle relish in our tuna salad, which is always sweet so for me this was like the real thing. Only better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...