Thursday, March 24, 2011

raw hemp burgers, pizza crackers and nori snacks

some of my most joyful days are those spent in the kitchen chopping, mixing and dehydrating. on one recent d-day, carmella soleil's uncookbook, delightfully raw was my muse. as mentioned here about a jillion times, carmella introduced me to living foods through her blog, the sunny raw kitchen. then, as if i were dreaming, carmella was showing me the raw ropes in my very own kitchen! (you can read about our kitchen bonanza here: I, II, III)

carmella is a true raw alchemist - everything she touches turns to pure delicious. not only do her hemp veggie burgers taste incredible, they're packed with superfood nutrition (irish moss, hemp and chia seeds, walnuts). paired with fermented kraut and bubbie's pickles, the burger actually took on a cheesy flavor. eureka! a healthy raw cheeseburger, minus meat and dairy!=)


first i enjoyed my hemp burger on lisa's onion bread. next, i used organic collard greens as the "bun" and topped my patty with a slice of onion bread, homemade sauerkraut, bubbie's pickles and sprouts. both were out of this world!


onto some snackage...


delightfully raw has a recipe for italian flax crackers, which i tweaked a bit to create pizza crackers (added tomato and more nutritional yeast). they were really tasty, but a bit too chewy. next time i'll see if less flax meal and more whole flax crisps them up a bit.


these crunchy, garlic nori snacks and other sea vegetables are naturally high in potassium iodide and may make a good alternative to potassium iodide pills, which have been hard to get a hold of since news of the radiation leak in japan.

as you may know, potassium iodide (KI) can protect your thyroid gland against radiation damage. it seems that a little less than three sheets of nori contains the recommended dose for thyroid protection in a case of potential radiation exposure. (however, i recommend you do your own research and do what feels best for you!)


coming soon... i can't believe it's not tuna!=)

14 comments:

  1. It all looks amazing! Thanks for sharing..
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kelli, I am also obsessed with my dehydrator and Delightfully Raw. I think it's so cool that you were able to create with Carmella. I have loved every one of her recipes; she truly has a gift.

    Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful presentation! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your burger are so prefect. Everything looks really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, everything looks so yummy! Carmella was one of my first raw inspirations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those burgers look so darn good! Love the toppings too!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those burgers look awesome!!! and they hold together so perfectly! Thanks for the suggestions:)
    Yes, I'm keeping a watch on my iodine intake..the more the better right now for sure!
    Happy Friday!
    PS I gave you am award:)

    http://contagioushealth.blogspot.com/2011/03/tgif.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you debra, it's my pleasure.=)

    kt, most of the recipes i use are carmella's or were found at her blog. she's a great resource!

    heidi, i'm in need of another already - emergency, emergency, we're out of raw pizza crusts!=)

    thank you, lela.=)

    clint, why thank you!

    jane, they were surprisingly easy to form!

    nikki, i hear a lot of people say that. i was so ignorant to raw foods - i thought raw foodists didn't heat their food for fear that the veggies felt pain!

    thanks, lauren!

    melissa, thank you dear! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny! I just started making nori rolls too! They are so awesome. Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks amazing. I love the look of the burger and that it stays together so well. Thanks for posting the info on nori sheets. I have been doing a little bit of research on things to do after Japan's nuclear leaks and also there was a small one here in Canada too. Glad to see you sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That burger doesnt look dry like so many other raw burgers do! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful burger Kelli!! I love Nori. Wish I had your recipe.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...