Wednesday, June 24, 2009

sprouts a-mung us

*how to sprout your own mung beans*

you will need:
1/2- 2/3 C. mung beans
cheese cloth, nylon, or tulle
large open-mouthed jar
a rubber band


rinse and soak mung beans in cool water for at least 12 hours.


pour beans in jar and cover with cheese cloth (or a piece of unused nylon or tulle) and a rubber band.


drain, rinse, repeat.


place your jar upside down in a cool (70° -ish) low-lit area.
rinse and drain your beans every 8-12 hours.


they should begin to sprout in about 2 days. the sproutage you see pictured is after 4 days.


store sprouts in fridge.
add to salads, soups, sandwiches, or veggie rolls.
(click here for more ideas)

***

here's a yummy creation i came up with myself =)


so easy to make!
simply combine 1 C. each chickpeas, black beans, and mung sprouts with fresh mint, cilantro, olive oil, and sea salt.


serve warm, chilled, or over some grains, like red quinoa.

♫ beans, beans, they're good for your heart...♫

=)

7 comments:

  1. Kelli,

    That looks so good. Another one I'm going to have to try.

    Liisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow cool is that?!?!?! Question..... how did you discover this??
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you. =)

    i saw many recipes that called for the sprouts but i couldn't find them at whole foods or anywhere in the area. i found dry mung beans in the bulk bins for like 99 cents a pound, so i read around online to see how to sprout my own. i'm glad i did because that jar full of sprouts cost only 50 cents to make and is lasting quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah that is AWESOME!!! Money saver and it's FUN! Kind of like those little toys I use to get as a kid that grew in water. Anyway, to answer your question from my blog.... I did make the spaghetti squash myself. I really liked it.... but just didn't think of it as pasta!
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this! I have been wanting to make my own sprouts but I wasn't exactly sure how to get started. This was such a clear tutorial, I really appreciate it. I'm going to get started asap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so interesting! I have to try. Can I use other kind of beans as well?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...