Monday, July 11, 2011

we got the beets

80's girl band anyone?


last year i made tasty pickled beets but they were nothing like these.


because this time i used pickling spice.


homemade pickling spice
(modified from ball's recipe)

makes about 1/2 cup

1 cinnamon stick broken into pieces
5 bay leaves, crushed
2 T mustard seeds
1 T coriander seeds
1 T whole black peppercorns
1 T dill seeds
1-2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tsp whole cloves
pinch cardamom
1/2 tsp grated ginger root

mix and store in an airtight container.


my chioggia beets were pickled following this recipe. since i had such a small amount, i didn't bother to can -  just stored them in the fridge. the jar was made for my beet-loving mother, but i can't seem to keep my fingers out of it. sorry mom! the next batch will be better - i'll even take the skins off!=)

11 comments:

  1. ha ha! i love pickled beets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! We're so parched here our beets are not even the size of golf balls ... but I'll definitely try the pickling spice recipe if they ever grow ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found out last week how fond i am of pickled beets. they would be eaten daily here if we could get to hustling and making our own. i also picked up some pickled asparagus from a local farmer, and i can only imagine how much more inspiration it will give me to get going on pickling...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try and try, but just can not become fond of beets. Of course that does not keep me from planting them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love beets! They are also a gorgeous color :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pickling spice is so pretty! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I would eat just about anything pickled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a beet kind o' guy but I will defend to the death your right to eat 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beets! And I've been wanting to learn how to preserve... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try this looks so yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE beets!! I would so love to try this.
    Peace & Raw Health,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh I bet that smells amazing! And thanks for the song. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...