Monday, July 25, 2011

today's smoothie and homemade green powder


one of my most favorite summer green smoothies - purslane, kale, cucumber, pear, banana, blueberry and chia seeds.


come winter, we're really going to miss those fresh, local organic greens in our smoothies, so i'm preparing the next best thing - homemade green powder.


carmella introduced us to this brilliant concept last fall - simply wash and dehydrate your surplus of greens, then process into a fine powder.


store in an airtight jar in a cool, dark place. add one or more teaspoons to smoothies, juices or fruit roll-ups for a boost of green nutrition.


four excalibur dehydrator screens of kale yielded about 3/4 cup green powder. my goal is to fill at least two pint-sized jars before winter's sting. we shall see!

10 comments:

  1. homemade green powder holy shizer!!!! what an idea!!! :) i am amazed!

    and i'm drinking my green smoothie right now too! mango, romaine, bibb lettuce, spirulina, yacon syrup and ice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops forgot a banana is in my smoothie too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I suggest that you build a little cold frame over one of your raised beds. You should be able to keep cold hardy greens like kale going until December and started again come February. Maybe all winter if it is mild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I am going to have to give this a go for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that idea of making your own green powder! What a money saver!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that with my green juice pulp. No time to make it into crackers often, or within the time it needs to be done. Great idea. Jealous you have "extra" kale. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. drinking my vegetable juice right now! beets, cucumber, carrots, broccoli, and romaine lettuce! (aren't you proud of me? im proud of me. i dont have to add loads of fruit to my juice anymore!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. rick, sounds yum!

    jane, thank you, that's a great idea. we've been considering it all summer and it seems like a fairly easy project.

    mrs. pickles, it's one of those "why didn't i think of that?!"=)

    lauren, it sure is!

    bitt, i'm jealous you have a green juicer.;)

    michele, yes, i'm very proud! i always need at least one apple.=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making your own green powder? Awesome! And so simple. How does it taste? There are some green powders that taste better than others. I think one benefit of making your own would be to experiment with different greens and making it taste better. What about adding some dried herbs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is definitely the way to get yourself some powdered suppliments...make your own, I love it.:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...