Wednesday, February 2, 2011

berry nutritious brekky

chia seeds, coconut milk and irish moss gel
topped with organic blueberries and soaked/dehydrated buckwheat groats


chia seeds : excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, dietary fiber and disease-fighting phytochemicals. used to treat heartburn symptoms. can be purchased online and in most health food stores.

irish moss : a gelatinous seaweed loaded with vitamins and minerals such as sulphur compounds, protein, iodine, bromine, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc, pectin, B-vitamins and vitamin C (cites pure joy planet, a trusted seller of raw irish moss). also used topically to hydrate and heal skin problems.

note: i've read those taking anti-coagulating medications should avoid using irish moss.

blueberries : super rich in antioxidants known to prevent/heal heart disease and cancer.

buckwheat groats : gluten-free seeds found to lower blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels. full of fiber, vitamins and minerals. also a good oil source of alpha-linolenic acid, one of the two essential fatty acids needed for a healthy system.

+

to make this simple breakfast whisk about 2 T chia seeds with 1/4 C non-dairy milk and a heaping teaspoon irish moss gel. allow seeds to absorb liquid a few minutes.

beforehand, soak buckwheat groats 30 minutes then dehydrate until dry (you could also let them sprout a few days prior to drying for added nutrition).

top with bloobs or berry of choice. raisins and cinnamon also make a nice chia breakfast topping.

what is your breakfast of choice these days? 

14 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful!---and creative, too. But based on what I've got goin' on here in north Texas, I could use a recipe or two using ice and snow. Ha.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've actually never tried irish moss ever. i think that i'm gonna order some because i've been finding a lot of recipes that use it.

    as for breakfast i've been eating ezekial bread with raw cashew butter and bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just wondering what you eat and your post gave me the answer. I love chia!

    Thanks for the health run down on all of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hard time liking chia. Maybe I will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Love chia seeds! they're so versatile. Great looking breakkie sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so yummy! I've been eating lots of green smoothies and rawnola!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome looking meal. i cant wait to use the irish moss we have sitting here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum!! How I miss blueberries:)

    I have yet to try irish moss but I'm really intrigued and would love to try it when making a rich dessert..or breaky:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy and healthy! I loove blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your breakfast.:) We have been very focused on incorporating a kefir and mixed berry smoothie into our breakfast regime every day...love the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum yum! We eat lots of chia here. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. kelliiiiii...
    Hi there! I love the looks of that! I've never tried Irish Moss, but will now.
    I haven't had a chance to keep up with my favorite blogs lately, (working on a commission) but I'm checking yours out now, to see what I missed. I always love it here!
    By the way, you met Brad?! A small world indeed!! :)
    Sending love ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. clint - ha! thank you for all your kind words.=)

    griffen - i haven't tried cashew butter. i love pb and nanners.

    bitt - i rarely eat breakfast, actually. only when i'm hungry do i eat, which usually isn't until afternoon.

    jane - the texture was something to get used to. chia seeds help ease my heartburn so i either consume a tablespoon and chase it with water or make pudding.

    rbg - they sure are! thanks sweetums.

    lauren - mmm, rawnola!

    rick - excited to see what you do with it!

    cosmic - =)

    melissa - me too! every day we get closer!!!

    lela - thanks, love.=) these blueberries were a bit squooshy but still good.

    thanks mr. h. i haven't had a smoothie in a while. just kombucha and coffee in the morning. i'm sure that will change once the growing season begins.=)

    heidi - ch ch ch chia!=)

    hi gabriele! yes, i think he lives not too far from me (in PA?). lots of love to you too!

    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...